Monday, March 19, 2012

Tired of Being Tired or What is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

The symptoms of fibromyalgia (FMS) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) overlap to such an extend that it sometimes can be difficult to figure out if you have one, the other or both. The main overlapping symptoms are fatigue, pain, and problems with concentration and short term memory. In fibromyalgia pain is primary and fatigue secondary; in CFS fatigue is primary and pain is secondary. In my case, I have pain all the time and feel exhausted pretty much all the time.

The main symptoms that distinguish CFS from FMS are the following:
  • Chronic or frequent sore throat
  • Tender lymph nodes
  • Chronic low grade fever (between 99 and 100.9 F or 37.3 and 38.3 C)
I started suspecting I had both illnesses due to frequently having a sore or really swollen throat, making swallowing difficult. Also, I often wake up in the middle drenched in my own sweat, which interrupts my much needed sleep, continuing the cycle of feeling crummy. I believe these night sweats are due to the low grade fever.

Having CFS feels like having a never-ending flu. I feel achy all over and exhausted, even though I have not been crazy busy or active. It is pretty normal for me to wake up in the morning feeling more tired than when I went to sleep the night before.

CFS is diagnosed when there is an unexplained fatigue (other possible illnesses have been eliminated) for 6 months or more. Sleep and rest is not refreshing or restorative, and no, a cup of strong coffee (or black tea in my case) does nothing to make me feel more awake. Exercise and too much activity unfortunately make the symptoms worse.

Luckily, on occasion my symptoms do subside for a time and I have days, or even weeks, where I feel great. Lately, this has not been the case, but I remain hopeful that good days are just around the corner. The recent time change and getting up earlier than usual to go to the Chronic Pain program has affected me quite a bit.

As there are no medications specifically designed to treat CFS and FMS, the best prescription is to develop coping mechanisms to help take control of the symptoms and continue living life, albeit in a modified way. This is why I am really glad that I am participating in the Chronic Pain Self-Management Program. It has gives me the support and information I was desperately needing.

Week 3 Take-Away: The P's of Energy Conservation
  • Pacing
    • Alternating between activity and rest. 
    • For example, do the dishes for 15 minutes, rest for 10 minutes before taking on the next activity.
  • Planning:
    • Allocating tasks and activities evenly over the week ensuring that you are active every day, avoiding push-crash cycles.
    • Ensuring that fun and pleasant activities are also included for the week.
  • Prioritizing:
    • Tackling the most important tasks first, and delegating if necessary and possible.
  • Posture and Proper Body Mechanics:
    • Remember to maintain the natural curves of your body, flex your knees and bend from the hips not the lower back.
And, most importantly, as they tell us over and over again at the Center, 

RESPECT YOUR LIMITS

No comments:

Post a Comment